Serves 2 to 4
1 lb. veal, cut into small cubes
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 lb. mushroom, finely sliced
1 large onion, very finely chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fat-free sour cream
1 1/2 cans chicken broth salt and pepper to taste
Best Photos For French Veal and Mushroom Stew
Click The Photo For Next French Veal and Mushroom Stew Images.
• Heat the olive oil in a medium-heavy iron casserole dish with the lid on.
• Add the veal and continue to cook over medium- high heat, stirring until each cube has lost its pink color.
• Add the garlic, thyme, mustard, salt, pepper, and chicken broth.
• Cover the casserole dish, place it in an oven set to 200° F, and bake for 3 to 4 hours. (The meat should be fork tender. The longer it is cooked, the more tender it becomes.)
• Saute the onions with a bit of broth in a nonstick frying pan until they are slightly brown, and then let them cool.
• Saute the mushrooms in the remaining broth until they are soft, and let them cool.
• When the veal reaches the desired tenderness, remove a cup of the gravy and pour it into a food processor with xh of the sauted mushrooms. Blend until smooth and place in the casserole dish.
• Add lemon juice and sour cream; stir.
• Add the other xh of the mushroom and the onions.
• Return the dish to the oven for xh hour more.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.